Search
  • George

Paint test

Updated: Feb 25, 2019

I've been giving a lot of thought as to how the hell I'm going to paint the Pfeil. The Germans only built 37 of these toward the end of WWII so there aren't a whole lotta varients to choose from. I've decided that it's going to represent a Pfeil that was captured by the allies and used for flight testing.


Captured Do-335 with US markings.


I was going to use the salt technique to chip the paint, but decided that was not such a good idea because of the camoflage pattern. Hairspray seemed to be a better alternative.


I keep a stash of cheap Chinese Su-27 knock-offs that I use for this purpose. I grabbed a wing half and sanded the rough texture down to 1500 grit just as I had done with the Do. I then blew off any dust and wiped the part down with Tamiya acrylic thinner in order to remove any oils from my fingers. The part was handled while wearing gloves. I then sprayed a nice heavy coat of Alclad gray primer/microfiller and waited a couple of hours for that to dry. I then rubbed it down with a piece of lint-free paper towel which gave it a nice smooth surface. Once again, I wiped it down with a Tamiya thinner. I then sprayed the entire piece with AK Interactive Dark Aluminum and let that dry for a couple of hours; rubbing it down with the same lin-free towel. I then sprayed a rather heavy (maybe too heavy) coat of hairspray that I had decanted from a can into my airbrush cup. I used a hairdryer to accelerate drying.


Colors I used. White not shown.


I mixed various shades of Mission Models Paints using RLM 82 and RLM 71. Straight RLMs were put down first followed by lighter versions in a random, mottled pattern that were created by mixing the base color and a few drops of yellow chromate, white, RLM02, and green chromate for the lighter versions. Black and Tire black were added to the darkened versions.


Colors shot onto the wing.

I let the paint dry for a few nimutes using a hairdryer to accelerate the process, and then began the chipping step. I used a small brush that I had shortened the bristles on and wet it with plain water and began attacking the paint. Turns out that was a bit too much so I used a moistened toothpick instead. This proved to be a little tedious, but worth the work. I was able to chip away at the panel lines very selectively. I used the brush for lager areas that might show more wear like walkways, etc.

Chipping.

I wasn't going too go too crazy on this because it was, after all, only a test. But, you seen in the photo above that this worked pretty well.

After thwater evaporated, I gave the wing a wash of Mig Neutral Gray wash.


Neutral Gray Wash Applied

I let that sit for about 15 minutes and wiped it off using my handy dandy lint-free towel. This was followed by Mig dark brown panel line wash and Mig streaking effects.


Finished wing.

I'll probably modify this technique a bit on the model, but for now this is a great starting point. Stay tuned...

0 views

©2020 George Johnson All Rights Reserved