Search
  • George

A really Crappy 1/32 Revell MiG-21

I don't normally stop working on one model to start another, but I need to get a natural metal finish aircraft done for a contest here in Oregon in September. I'm a slow builder so I thought I'd start now. I bought this 1/32 Revell MiG-21 thinking that it was 1/48 at a local modellers swap meet. That's not so bad, but I have very little room left to display it. Anyway, this is going to become an abandoned Soviet AF version in a natural metal finish (NMF). I don't know when this thing was first issued, but I can tell you it's a total piece of crap. That's okay, too. It has all kinds of raised panel lines, sink marks, mold lines, flash, etc, etc. The cockcpit (as you can see) is horrible, b

ut none of that matters because it's going to look pretty trashed by the time I finish it. The canopy will be hazed over and discolored so I'm not too worried about the detail under it. You'll only see a hint of detail. I'm starting to use Mission Models paints on this bad boy. So far, I used Tire Black on the ejection seat and a US army green on the seat cushion. I had a bit of an issue with it at first due to the fact that it's not your run-of-the-mill acrylic paint and operator error, but once I figured out what I had done, and after speaking to Jon at Mission Models, things worked out perfectly. The paint appears too thich to run through the airbrush, even when using the highly recommended dilution amounts (you pretty much have to follow the instructions on their website), but it works well. I found I had to increase my pressure a wee bit. More on Mission Models Paints later.


I painted the cockpit using Mr Paint Tourquoise for Soviet Cockpits after a coat of primer, Alclad Aluminum and Steel, and finally hairspray (for chipping). A Mig Neutral gray wash was applied after spaying the whole damn thing with Mr Paint Matte Clear. Details have to be picked out, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time doing that as it won't really be seen.


The goofy-looking seat was spayed with Mission Models Tire Black and Olive Green.


I removed the elevators and flaps, but probably shouldn't have. I'll re-attach these in slightly up and down positions. Panel lines were all re-scribed and rivets were added.


The 'nutha wing showing its rivets. The wing profiel is really boxy so I thinned the shit out of the leading and trailing edges. I probably should have removed more. More later. Stay tuned...

81 views

©2020 George Johnson All Rights Reserved