Search
  • George

1/72 Hasegawa B-47

I realized a couple of days ago that a competition deadline is looming and I needed to get a natural metal finish airplane done soon. I hat to start and stop builds and prefer to concentrate on one model at a time. I started an Su-30 a few months ago and a heavy box fell on top of it and crushed the canopy and the nose. I repaired it, but stashed it back in the box. I then started a 1/32 Corsair and put that back in the box so that's sitting there half completed. Then I started a Kitty Hawk F-35 and realized I needed to get started on the NMF plane. So here goes. Hopefully something shiny will not grab my attention and send me off in a different direction. Must stay focused.....

I started with re-scribing the raised panel lines of the kit. I use the old Dymo tape and scriber method and went over the existing lines. This is not as easy as it seems. The scriber sometimes tracked over onto the raised lines resulting in some not-so-straight new panel lines. I had to repair a few by filling them with CA glue and sanding. This is a big pain in the ass.

The tried and true Dymo tape and scriber method.

So far, Ive finished one wing (top and bottom) and both fuselage halves. Removing sanding debris from the seams can be another pain in the ass. At first I tried using a stiff brush, but that didn't help. Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab didn't, either. I ended up using a a slightly blunted sewing needle to very gently run through the lines. The only problem is that the edges of the lines are a little sharp even after sanding and polishing which meant that they had to be softened to round off the edges. I did this by running a little Tamiya liquid cement down the lines just like I would with panel line washes.

I ran Tamiya liquid cement down the panel lines. The dark areas are caused by checking for scratches and scrapes with ink.

The engines are a little bland so I decided to spruce them up a bit. The exhaust ends are blocked off which meant opening them up with a bur and cleaning up the new holes. Unfortunately, this just leaves a big hole where there should be engine detail. I solved this by looking through my spares box and finding a bunch of cluster bombs from an old 1/32 F-15 kit.

It may not be accurate, but it looks a lot better. The really badly mismatched engine parts were assembled using CA glue liberally. After the CA cured, I sanded everything with a 100 grit stick folowed by 180, 400, 600, 1,000 and 1,200 wet and dry.



Engine exhausts look a lot more interesting.


Surfaces have nbeen smoothed out on the top engine pod.

You can see the before (bottom) and after more clearly here.

71 views

©2020 George Johnson All Rights Reserved