1/32 Tamiya Mosquito Cockpit
Man, it's been over a month since I lasted posted an entry. Vacation, work, puppies and all kinds of stuff have gotten in the way of model building. Anyway, I'm back. I've been working on the cockpit of this thing off and on now for almost a month.
The fit and finish, and the engineering of this kit is totally state of the art. Everything fits like a dream . There are absolutely no hassles at all building it so far. I started with the pilot's seat and painted the bulkhead and seat frame with Mission Models RAF Interior Green acrylic. This was allowed to dry thoroughly before giving it a very light wash using Ammo of Mig Gray panel line wash. This was used sparingly in order to bring out shadow areas. The seat back was painted with a mixture of Mr Paint Black and Mr Paint Darl Blue for the Su-34. I thought the semi-gloss finish ws appropriate for leather. The seat bottom was painted with MMP Olive Drab mixed with a little tan. The brass gromments were painted with Vallejo acrylic. The seatbelts are cloth from Eduard. The set comes with extra PE hardware that came in handy because a couple of buckles went flying..
I used the instrument panel set from Yahu. IThe printing is far superior to Eduard's products and the colors are rich and perfectly registered. The material is high gloss so I masked off the dials with liquid masking solution and gave sprayed it with Mr Paint matte finish clear.
I also added wiring to the back of the instrument cluster using 0.010", 0.015". and 0.020" lead wire from Bass Pro Shops. I'm not sure how of this will be seen in the final model, but it looks cool so far.
The machine guns were enhanced with brass barrel replacements from Master Model. These are beautifully turned and fit together with precision. The trick is to cleanly cut off the plastic barrels and drill perfectly perpendicular holes in the MG body. It wasn't difficult and the results are worth the small amount of effort.
The guns were painter with Alclad black primer follwed by Alclad Gun Metal. I then used a cotton swab and applied Ammo of Mig Gun Metal pigment to them with absolutely spectacular results.