Search
  • George

1/32 Tamiya F4U Update

Updated: Nov 1, 2018

I put this project away for a few months because I was getting ready for a couple of contests and didn't think I had enough time to get it done to my satisfaction. I'm back at it now, but in that period of time, I forgot where I had put some of the parts. After a few hours searching, I found them and things are back to normal.

The fuselage is closed up and the center wing section has been assembled and interior parts painted. I noticed when I took the photos below that I have not yet finished the leading edges of the wings. I guess I'll be doing that tonight.

Here the center wing section had been dry-fitted to the fuselage.

The usual (and expected) Tamiya quality is evident throughout this kit. The fit of the wing is nearly perfect and seams are almost non-existent. The engine snaps right into place, too. I haven't glued it to the airframe yet as I know I'll knock it off or break something on it later if I do. The fit of the elevators is also perfect.


The tape is on there to protect a perfectly clear window .

I pre-painted some of the parts like the wheel wells and rear wheel struts because these will be more difficult to paint later. I used Mission Models white primer followed by their Insignia White. I used Ammo of Mig Blue-Black, Deep Brown, and Orange Brown panel line washes to add depth.


The excellent landing gear

I used he same paints on the landing gear. This is going to be a well-worn NZ "Angry Duck" version and my references show some pretty gnarly weathering going on.


Landing gear dry-fitted. Notice the gap in the leading edge.

I weathered the engine a little more after taking a look at a real Corsair in Colorado Springs, CO. Radials leak oil like crazy so I added additional grime and oil stains to the engine. I mixed a little turpenoid, Ammo of Mig Oil Stains and brown and dark gray pastel powder to form a thin slurry that was applied to strategic parts of the engine. I used my airbrush to gently coax the mixture around to simulate natural airflow.


Spark plug wires were made from .015" lead wire.

I'll add some dust effects later.

70 views

©2020 George Johnson All Rights Reserved