Search
  • George

1/32 Apollo LES/BPC

I made a little progress on my 3D printed 1/32 scale Apollo LES/BPC from Shapeways. As I posted earlier, the printed results are pretty rough and require a lot of filling. The rocket tower as you know, was 8 coats of Mr Surfacer 500 and 2 coats of 1000. I thought that was a bit of a waste so I found that I had a can of PPG sandable automotive primer. This helped to bring it down to 2 coats of that and 3 coats of Mr Surfacer 1000. I sanded between coats with 320 grit sandpaper and 2300 grit betwen the 2nd and 3rd coats of the Mr Surfacer. Lots of work, but it was well worth the effort. The frame has only one coat of PPG and has been lightly sanded so far.

Surface prep completed

The framing section is in progress. Still more primer needed.

Surface prep on the tower framing has begun. This is going to be a pain in the ass to sand and paint, sand and paint, sand and....

I started sanding by cutting 1/4" strips of sandpaper and using it on each tubular section. This will take hours, but in the end will be worth all the effort.


I wanted to send Michael Key, the designer of the piece a big thanks for his quick responses to my questions and for modifying his drawings slightly to accomodate my request for a larger cutout.



Here's how it's going to work together.

99 views

©2020 George Johnson All Rights Reserved